Thursday, 16 December 2010

Pop magazine comparison to Rock magazine

I researched different genre's of music magazine to find that the other main genre of music magazines was to be pop. I compared NME to Smash hits because it shows the differences between rock and pop magazines and discovered a lot of differences.





Smash Hits is aimed for a much younger age group compared to NME. The audience is aimed at the age of 9-14. The use of colour and the layout are bright and clearer, the magazine uses bright colours such as pinks, oranges and yellows so that this magazine will stand out and be appealing to its target audience. I like the use of colour of the magazine name, it stands out and draws attention to the public buying this particular magazine. I think towards the bottom of the magazine there is too much colour and doesn’t focus on just the one or two colours of text, it has a different range and contrast with each other.
NME is for a age group of teenagers, it has a much more simple layout compared to rival magazines such as Kerrang. It doesn’t have competition with Smash Hits because they focus on different genres of music, Smash Hits being a pop magazine and NME being an rock/indie magazine.I like the simplicity of NME’s layout on the front page, it isn’t overcrowding and too plain. NME sticks to 3 main colours for the text: white, red and black. These colours go very well together, so I prefer the layout of NME than Smash Hits.


No comments:

Post a Comment